North Miami dentist explains tooth whitening and offers tips for keeping teeth beautiful
At Fain Dental Arts in Miami, FL we believe tooth whitening services can transform you physically and mentally. When you love your smile, you are more confident and self-assured which can enhance many areas of your life. Whether it’s giving you the confidence to pursue a new career opportunity or try new social activities, improving your smile through teeth whitening can create lasting changes.
Your smile is valuable.
According to a survey by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, nearly all adults believe that an attractive smile is a social asset. Almost three-quarters of adults from the same survey believe that an unattractive smile can inhibit career and social success.
Why teeth become discolored
Primary teeth or baby teeth are often much whiter than our permanent teeth. As we get older, our teeth appear more discolored, often looking dark, dingy, or stained.
There are many different causes of permanent tooth discoloration. They include:
- Genetics – Some people are just born with thinner enamel that can be more susceptible to staining. Both enamel hypoplasia and enamel hypocalcification can give the teeth a discolored appearance.
- Medicine – There are many medications that can cause tooth discoloration or permanent staining as a side effect. Doxycycline and Tetracycline are two common child antibiotics that cause stains. There are also certain antihistamines, anti-depressants, and high blood pressure medications that may discolor teeth.
- Improper oral hygiene – Not brushing twice each day and flossing daily can cause decay and tooth discoloration
- Dark colored foods and beverages – Consuming things like coffee, red wine, red pasta sauce, sodas, and acidic fruits can darken and stain teeth.
- Tobacco– The nicotine and tar found in tobacco can yellow teeth very quickly.
Types of teeth whitening
There are several ways to whiten teeth. The two most common are: professional in-office whitening and at-home with over the counter products.
Commercial products that are available at grocery stores or drug stores such as whitening strips, whitening toothpaste, gums, and mouth trays with gel have become increasingly more popular because they are easy to use and are inexpensive. The problem is, these products rarely produce satisfying results.
The problems with over the counter solutions:
- Ill-fitting trays. Teeth whitening trays that are available over the counter are one size fits all, which means they may not fit your mouth properly. Improperly fitting trays can cause uneven whitening and gum irritation.
- Lackluster results. While over the counter products can eliminate some surface level stains, they are not good at removing deep stains or whitening the teeth beyond their natural shade.
Professional teeth whitening uses bleaching agents that are much stronger than over the counter solutions. When teeth whitening is done under supervision by a dentist, it ensures that the gum tissue is properly protected, and that product is applied evenly. Most professional teeth whitening systems can get your teeth 8-10 shades whiter in just a single appointment.
Tips for keeping your new smile white
Teeth whitening is one of the most popular cosmetic dental treatments. At Fain Dental Arts, we love helping people achieve a smile that looks natural and enhances their beauty. People who love their smile tend to smile more often, which improves their appearance. Because we want our patients to be able to maintain their new smile, we offer these tips for keeping the smile white.
- Avoid dark colored foods and beverages whenever possible. If you do consume them, try using a straw for beverages and brushing your teeth immediately afterward.
- Maintain good oral hygiene. Brushing and flossing regularly keeps teeth clean and white.
- Quit Smoking. Not only will it help keep your teeth whiter, but it will also protect your health.
- Schedule regular cleanings. Professional cleanings from the dentist remove plaque and tartar build-up that cannot be removed with brushing alone.
If you are in the North Miami area, it’s time to transform your smile with teeth whitening. To schedule a consultation and learn more about the whitening systems we offer, please call us at 305-891-2621.
Back to Teeth Whitening Page